Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education and Citizenship (PSHE)
'The knowledge, understanding and skills young people need to manage their lives and thrive as individuals, family members and members of society.’
Whilst these two subjects are taught in designated lessons throughout Years 7-11, the school offers many opportunities and situations where practical applications of these skills are central e.g. young enterprise. School assemblies are often pertinent to current PSHE and citizenship themes which need addressing e.g. elections, internet safety, etc. Tutor time is also utilised e.g. careers presentations, writing personal statements.
During Years 7-9 the students have 1 period per week throughout the year. Over the course of a year, the students rotate around teaching staff, each teacher delivering a block of lessons around a particular PSHE or Citizenship topic. This facilitates best teaching as the teachers become specialists in their topic areas. During Years 10 & 11 this timetabled slot is shared with RE equally over the year following a rotation of staff and subject.
The content followed is in line with government expectations.
The three PSHE themes are:
- Health and wellbeing
- Living in the Wider World (Economic wellbeing and being a responsible citizen)
UK Government PSHE Guidance
The national curriculum for citizenship requires a sound knowledge and understanding of how the United Kingdom is governed, its political system and how citizens participate actively in its democratic systems of government. Furthermore students are required to develop of a sound knowledge of the role of law and the justice system in our society and how laws are shaped and enforced. The management of money is also covered. Critical thinking, advocacy and debate are important tools in delivery.
Citizenship National Curriculum
Difficult topics include sources of help and advice where appropriate; some key websites are included for your interest.
- Miss Jaram - British Sign Language Training
- Mrs Sims - Safety (including e-safety, fire, road, home) and cyberbullying.
Australian Bullying Website
- Mrs Powell– British Values, Xenophobia, Celebrating difference, Radicalisation
Promoting Fundamental British Values_Guidance_Maintained_Schools
- Mrs Parsons - Friendships and behaviour, identity, healthy lifestyle
Personal wellbeing Schools Programme
- Mrs Jefferies - Personal finance, enterprise, poverty
How enterprising are you?
- Dr Clifford - Human Rights, Diversity, prejudice, sustainability
- Mrs Pagnam & Mrs Jones – Self-image and influence of media, puberty and emotions, eating disorders, First Aid, Child Sexual Exploitation and Grooming
YMCA Body Confidence
- Mr Manvell - Government, democracy, politics and the media, the economy
Open Justice Interactive Game
- Mrs Powell - Alcohol, smoking, solvents, risk
Drink Aware | Alcohol Education Trust
- Mr Richens – Careers: Sectors, Job and person specifications, working conditions, job satisfaction, volunteering
'iCould' Career Choices
- Mr Manvell – Law, crime, justice, mock trial, the media and employability
UK Parliament Education Service
- Mrs Blud - Body image, relationships, family, contraception and STIs including HIV, homophobia, gender identity, sexting
bbc.co.uk 'Body Image and Weight' | Eating Disorder Support
- Mrs Sims – Life Choices, assessing risk, options and pathways, social responsibility
- Mr Pickering – Mental Health inc. eating disorders, identity, stress
www.mentalhealth.org.uk and Mind.org.uk 'Managing Stress'
- Mrs Winder – Drug awareness, dealing with peer pressure, First Aid
Talk to Frank | NHS 'Drugs and your Kids' | Red Cross 'First Aid'
- Mrs Hemming - Relationships and sex, contraception, STIs including HIV, teenage pregnancy, terminations
Respect Yourself 'Talking to your children'
- Mrs Winder – Drugs and addiction, gambling, money management, First Aid, Road Safety
Talk to Frank 'Legal Highs'
- Mr Kendall - Politics, British Values, human rights
Link to www.doingsmsc.org.uk/british-values/
- Mr Manvell – Finance, gambling, debt
Link to https://barclayslifeskills.com/educators/tags/skills-tags/money-skills
- Mr Thomas - The balance between work, leisure and exercise, health and fitness, stress relief. PE KIT ESSENTIAL
Link to https://www.hfe.co.uk/
- Dr Nickson – Safe relationships, values, pornography
Thinkuknow.co.uk | CEOP
- Mrs Winder – Mental Health, Samaritans, Stress
Link to https://www.ncsyes.co.uk/
- Ms Wright - Social, Cultural, Political and Financial aspects of living away from home, Road Safety, Theory Test practice
Theory Test Pro
Coordinator of PSHE and Citizenship – Mrs C Spencer